I will be honest with you, Fridays are the hardest day of the week for me, and yesterday I knew I was in for a rough ride.
My husband leaves shortly before my son and I get up in the morning, and after taking care of my son and working all week I am just plain tired and feeling pretty darn frazzled. I know, some of you are thinking “you work at home, how hard is that?” – well, I’m one of those silly people who just can’t stop in the middle of a project unless I happen to be at a good stopping point (and I usually have no less than 10 projects going on at once), so sometimes I’m still going until 10 or 11 pm.
I’m working on a very large project right now, so I’ve been up very late this week, hubby had to work late tonight, and it was the first week of school for “beetlebutt”. When he got home from school in the afternoon, the little guy was so wound up he could have run the Boston Marathon, and here was mum…ready to take a three hour nap. I’m sure many of you realize this is not a fun combination – for my son, or for me.
I was doing my best to use my “isn’t everything in the world so exciting” voice and play with him as enthusiastically as I usually do, when he decided to lie on the couch and watch TV for a few minutes. I was watching TV with him, stroking his hair, trying to get him to actually take a nap – when my mind started to wander. Some of the random thoughts running around in my head – little man’s haircut came out really cute…what are we gonna have for dinner?…what else can I put on my website?…wonder if there are any good movies on tonight…
Then I started to wonder: “What goes through that little three-year-old brain when he does the things he does?”
When he was done with his quiet time on the couch, I started paying really close attention to the things he does, and tried to answer my own question. As I played with him and watched what he did, I wrote a list. It’s fairly short, but by the time it was done, I was in much better spirits, and I was laughing my head off!
Here’s what I came up with…
- Winter boots are the best shoes EVER, and are best worn with nothing else.
- If I run circles around mum singing about Popsicles enough times, maybe she’ll give in and give me one.
- Horses are really cows in disguise.
- Cats are no fun unless you’re chasing them or making them chase you (with string or something similar).
- Pillows aren’t for sleeping on – they’re for building forts.
- Any meat other than chicken or turkey dogs is “stinky”, and turkey dogs with condiments on them are “dirty”.
- Electric recliners are really trampolines built just for little boys.
- Clean laundry makes the best landing pad for jumping off the back of the couch!
- Peanut butter makes AWESOME face cream!
- Clothes flying through the air are not clothes – they’re big, colorful birds!
The moral of this little enumeration? Even the really rough days should be cherished!